My Favorite Quotes From Jen Sincero’s You Are A Badass
For my 22nd birthday, one of my closest friends Aya Agourram got me two books as a gift, ‘You Are A Badass: How To Stop Doubting Your Greatness And Start Living An Awesome Life’ was one of them.
As I did with some self-help books I read, I listed my favorite lines from this one. Enjoy.
- If you want to live a life you’ve never lived, you have to do the things you’ve never done.
- You are a victim of the rules you live by. –Jenny Holzer.
- It’s not your fault that you’re fucked up. It’s your fault to stay fucked up.
- Most people are living in an illusion based on someone else’s beliefs.
- Our conscious mind thinks it’s in control, but it isn’t. Our subconscious mind doesn’t think about anything, but it’s in control.
- One doesn’t discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time. –André Gide. (My top favorite).
- It’s not that the things and opportunities that we want in life don’t exist yet, it’s that we are not yet aware of their existence.
- You create your reality, and you’ve spent a lifetime creating the one you presently have largely based on your limiting beliefs.
- Self-perception is a zoo.
- You are on a journey with no defined beginning, middle or end. There are no wrong twists and turns, there is just being.
- You aren’t a selfish person for taking care of yourself, just a happier one.
- Questions you need to consider when making decisions about your life:
Is this something I want to be, do or have?
Is this going to take me in the direction I want to go (not should go)?
Is this going to screw over anybody else in the process?
- What other people think about you has nothing to do with you and everything to do with them.
- Most answers reveal themselves through doing, not thinking.
- Our fantasies are our realities in an excuse-free world.
- It’s better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you aren’t. –André Gide.
- The majority of your thoughts are about as valuable and interesting as a bunch of two-year-olds fighting over a sippy cup.
- Forgiving isn’t about being nice to the person who hurt you, it’s about being nice to yourself.
- Going out into the world and trying, yet still deep down believing that you’re ruled by your past circumstances is like forgiving someone but still hoping they sit on something wet (this one had me rolling on the floor).
- If something negative happens in your life, feel it, learn from it, let it go, and get back to focusing on the life you are excited to live.
- There is no better teacher than necessity.
- Life is but a dream; don’t turn it into a nightmare.
- Once you understand that time, like most of your reality, is in your mind, you can make it work for you instead of being its slave.
- We tiptoe through life hoping to safely make it to death.
- We’ve made being in fear a habit.
- The people you surround yourself with are excellent mirrors for who you are and how much, or how little, you love yourself.
- Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. –Winston Churchill.
- Deciding is freedom. Indecision is torture.
- Wear down your obstacles and excuses and fears and doubts until they are finally like: “You? Again? Jesus H. Christ, fine, here you go, now get out of my face”.
- Nothing has any value other than the value we put on it.
Stay tuned for my next read!